We’re often asked how and why we got started building Uptick. If you’ve done any reading on our website you probably know some of the story, but the real story of Uptick starts with how we think about people and how we think about work.
Many of us at the company were already aligned with these values before Uptick was even an idea. We talked about the kind of company culture we wanted to work in, how we wanted to be treated, how we desired to treat others, and how we wanted to grow not only professionally, but personally. We talked about some of the contributions we would like to make in our neighborhoods, our communities, and in the world’s workplace. The thought of a small company in Bloomington, Minnesota making a worldwide impact may have seemed audacious, but our passion drove us to believe it was worth trying!
This led us to write out some of the things driving us at Uptick, and we thought perhaps you might want to know what we believe:
- We believe that all people are inherently valuable and are therefore imbued with dignity and purpose.
- We believe that every person is completely unique, and that the gifts and abilities they bring to work should be acknowledged and given room to blossom.
- We believe that all people are created to work, and no matter where or how they live that out, working with energy, excellence and passion is part of living out our purpose.
- We believe that the hours spent at work should generally be happy, focused, affirming and energizing.
- We believe that collaboration, not authority, is the best way to characterize a growing, productive and healthy team.
- We believe a manager’s chief duty is to support and encourage their team.
- We believe that great management makes for great companies, and that employees thrive where managers thrive.
- We believe that employees deserve to understand the clear expectations of their managers.
- We believe that employees and managers alike should be challenged and given the opportunity to grow.
Also, we created a podcast where we explore this in a little more depth. Check it out here.
And if you’d like to improve your 1:1s, click here to start your Uptick free trial.
Ready to start having better one-on-one conversations?
Learn how with our free guide to improving your one-on-ones.